Tuesday, July 9, 2013

That great stuff called vinegar!

Cost saver: Vinegar. (Cost: $1)

Seriously, we haven't been without it for the last year because of all the reasons I've found to use it. My favorite thing? It's cheap and packs a powerful punch. Oh, and let's not leave out the fact that it's completely safe for pets and kids to be around. Don't be intimidated by the smell, it fades, quickly, so no worries that your house or laundry will have a funky funk to them. I am sure that I've left off ways we've used it, but here's a few:

Mix equal parts of vinager and water use it as:
1. Odor neutralizer- I kid not! I always spray it on rugs, shower curtains, curtains, and our pet beds to help neutralize the odors (including puppy accidents). It also works on hard surfaces.

2. Window cleaner - This was my first vinegar discovery. I haven't purchased Windex in several years.

 3. Every day cleaner - I dust with it, clean up random stickiness, and wipe down sinks and toilet with. I think it's great for bathrooms because it also neutralizes the odors!

 4. Greenery cleaner - I had some nasty dust infested trees in the house. I took them out, sprayed them down and let them drip dry. So much cheaper than the greenery spray you can get in the craft department or at Hobby Lobby.


 Other uses:
5. I've put a capful or 2 of apple cider vinager in our dogs' water bowl to help deter fleas.

 6. Just learned today and tried putting a 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar in the fabric softener compartment and a tablespoon of baking soda in the drum of our front load to help rid towels of both their detergent build up and that musty smell that they sometimes get. Supposedly over time, it will help clean the drum too!

7. Clog sink or tub drain? I always pour baking soda down them and follow with vinegar. It creates a foam that will cut through the grime. After giving it some time, I pour hot tap water down to wash away the foam. I have had to repeat a few times on a few clogs, but for the cost comparison to Drano, it's well worth the repeat.

I found this awesome link too and thought I would share. 150+ Household uses for Vinegar

1 comment:

  1. You should post a picture of a bottle of vinegar. Then someone could post this to Pintrest. ;)

    ReplyDelete